Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:16:32 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Nathan Mace" <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: favorite ports?

Nathan,

> what i mean is when you guys do a fresh install of freebsd
> for a workstation/desktop type computer...what apps do you
> install?

I understand!  That's why I gave you my personal list of apps that I
install.  They are:

> Apache+SSL        for web servers.
> mod-perl          for web-servers.
> php4              if you prefer PHP to Perl.
> PostgreSQL        if you need a relational DB.
> bash              'cos I like it.
> mreport           usage reports for mail servers.
> majordomo         if you need to manage mailing lists.

You said "i don't have time to INSTALL every app in the ports tree.....".  I
understand that too!  But you must understand that none of us have time for
that either.  And we have equally little time to answer such a vague
question.  For example, if you are not interested in configuring Web Servers
then the first three or four of my personal favorites above might be of no
value to you at all.

You will probably find a more useful response from the members of this list
if you pose a question something like this in future:

Hi!  I am looking for a good network traffic sniffer.  I have tried tcpdump
and snoop, but I need something with a feature allowing me to [insert
relevant feature description here], which these do not have.  Does anyone
know of such a beast?

Thanks.