Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 08:38:23 +1000 (EST)
From:      Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd v bsdi v linux

Hi,

Had an interesting installtion problem that has just been solved.

Machine is a PIII 450 with 512MB (4x128)RAM. During installation of 3.2
from the WC CD I'd get a wite failure or a panic of the machine or both.
With 3.3 using NFS I just got a machine panic. These always happened
during the bin dist unpacking.

I tried RedHat 6.0 and the system panicked half way through the
installation.

The machine came with BSDI 3.1 on it. When I booted it for the first time
I noticed that the system was reporting only 128MB RAM. Just BSDI
weirdness I thought. Despite the repeated FreeBSD and Linux failures I was
always able to install BSDI, but the system always reported 128MB RAM.
Nothing dawned on me from this.

Anyway, I started pulling DIMMs from the box. With only slot 1 occupied
FreeBSD installed no problems. I pulled that DIMM and put two others in.
No problems. Added the first one to give 384MB, no problems. Put the
untested DIMM in and the machine wouldn't even boot! Hmm bad memory!

To test a theory I then installed BSDI 3.1 again. Interestingly it now
reported 384MB RAM. This now leads me to my question:

What is BSDI doing that made it recognise the bad memory in slot 2, and
hence only work with the first 128MB, that Linux and more importantly
FreeBSD are NOT doing? Anyone think it's a useful enough feature to be
added to the system? It measn that if you think you have xMB and the OS
comes up with yMB you might have a problem.

Colin
--
Colin Campbell
Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster