Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2006 22:53:43 +0000
From:      Chris Whitehouse <chris@childeric.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject:   portmanager filling /tmp

Hello

portmanager creates a backup package of each port it is about to upgrade
in case the upgrade fails and stores them in /tmp. Recently a machine
choked on a large unattended upgrade when /tmp filled up with .tbz's.

I've since changed --with-tempdir=/tmp in the Makefile to point
somewhere with a bit more space as a workaround (but havne't tested yet).

Is this new behaviour or have I broken something? I'm sure I've done
similarly large upgrades before without problem.

As a secondary question, man hier(7) says /tmp is for files that may not
survive a reboot. Can I happily delete anything in /tmp or is there
stuff I should at least put somewhere else?

The machine is a desktop with various office and multimedia packages
running  6.2-PRERELEASE #1: Sat Sep 16 12:05:07 BST 2006 i386. Ports are
up to 20061014.

Thanks for any suggestions

Chris