Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 02:59:31 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies

> The problem with this approach is that it hard-codes the "local" tree
> to /usr/local and the X tree to /usr/X11R6, which we are trying to
> avoid.

In fact, may I ask that people please stop imbeding @prefix commands
at the top of their packing lists?  It's simply not necessary now!

Before:

@prefix /usr/local
bin/foo
lib/foo

After:

bin/foo
lib/foo

The pkg_create command, which is pretty much ONLY run by the ports
mechanism now (nobody in their right mind creates packages by hand -
it's just too hard :) already gets the prefix passed in, and it's
really easy to override that way.  OK, OK, truth be told, the -p flag
overrides the copy in the packing list *anyway* so I guess the @prefix
is a no-op at best, but it's still redundant and we should probably
just start removing them.

					Jordan