Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:38:27 +0300
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        "Mark Maddox" <MMaddox@TMCDesign.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 Installation problem

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:29:36 -0700 Mark Maddox wrote:

> machine
> > > that is having problems, just to see if it would work.  I'm still
> > > to get FreeBSD 6.1 up

> hard
> > > drive and cdrom connected to it.  I am unable to install FreeBSD
> onto
> > > the harddrive.

> > > version 6.0
> > > turning turned DMA off in on boot.  I have tested both of my SATA
> > > the motherboard to make sure they both work with an alternate
> > > operating system (Windows) and they both worked.

> > > installed FreeBSD on it successfully and then (after testing it and
> > > the problems with only to have it start booting and then error out
> > > with harddrive errors.

> > > LBA=390721967

> /mnt/dev/ad0s1e
> > > on /mnt/tmp : Input/output error

> SATA
> > > cable.
> the
> >
> > > I just tried a new cable and I get the same errors.
> >
> > > Windows worked fine on the machine, but I cannot use Windows for my
> > > application.
> >
> > Do you have any check utility for your harddrive?
> > Can you try the latest FreeBSD iso installation CD (seems it's a
> > BETA-3 now)? Not for a production use but at least to test.
> >

> I have tried both the 6.1 release and the 6.2 BETA3.   Both get the same
> errors.

> I have not used any hard drive check utilities on the drive but I did
> put the hard drive with the same SATA cable attached to it in a computer
> with an ICH6 controller and 6.1 installed just fine.

> Then after booting up and making sure everything worked I moved the hard
> drive back to the computer with the ICH7 controller and I got the same
> errors during boot and boot failed.

> Any ideas?

Only one. Open a PR, write all that info. BTW, if FreeBSD live CD can
be executed with verbose dmesg, it may help. I think this PR have a
good chances to be closed since there is a pre-release cycle now and
ich7 controller is widely used. Sorry for not being very helpful. :-(

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve