Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:07:26 -0700
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C589 Ethernet PC Card

On Tue, Jul 14, 1998 at 09:40:22AM -0400, Pat Lynch wrote:
> having problems with a 3c589? thats weird, I have two of them and they
> work great. I'm actually using the ep0 driver (the one for the 3c509) with
> the PAO package. also, this might have been a better question for
> -questions instead of -hackers

> Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
> Systems Administrator					Rush Networking

I have to disagree, here. It seems that problems with the 3c589 are
not at all uncommon. I have had no success with the 3c589d in my
Extensa laptop, and no response from my previous mail to this list.

After monitoring this list for a couple of months, it looks like all
the mail regarding 3c589d boils down to two categories - 1) It
doesn't work for me, or 2) I don't understand, it works fine for me.
There are no hints on how to get it working - apparently either it
just works or it just doesn't.

I even opened a bug report with freebsd support, and the response was
"Yes, our 3com support sucks."

I really like free bsd, and (other than the lack of a working network
connection) the Extensa seems to be a fine machine, but I'm getting
very frustrated from not being able to connect to my network.

Like Gary, I'd also like a recommendation for a combination
modem/ethernet PCMCIA card (apparently PAO support for these is
planned), but I'd settle for just an ethernet card that works,
hopefully one that is known to work on an Extensa.

----------------------------------------------#-----#--#####---------------
                                              #     # #     #
 Steve Sizemore                               #     # #
 Dept. of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology #     # #
 Box 0450, Room HSE-1285                      #     # #
 University of California Medical Center      #     # #     #
 513 Parnassus Avenue                          #####   ##### #####  #######
 San Francisco CA 94143-0450                                #     # #
                                                            #       #
 steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu                                      #####  #####
 (415) 476-6987  FAX: (415) 476-6515                              # #
                                                            #     # #