Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:58:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/32536: apache13+mod_ssl deletes www user on pkg_delete

>Number:         32536
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       apache13+mod_ssl deletes www user on pkg_delete
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD onceler.kciLink.com 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #3: Wed Oct 17 12:01:32 EDT 2001 khera@yertle.kciLink.com:/u/yertle2/usr.obj/amd/onceler/u/onceler1/usr/src/sys/ONCELER i386

In a *major* violation of POLA, when I went to upgrade apache +
mod_ssl the other day, it removed and then recreated the www user
account.  However, the UID changed from what it was, the home dir
changed, login class changed, and group memberships were lost.
Bascially, it screwed my environment.  Luckily, it was only a
development server, and it asked me before deleting the crontab file.

What is the point of unilaterally deleting the existing www user
account on deletion of the package?  It just seems wrong.

As a reference, the mail/postfix-current port uses a "postfix" user
account, yet doesn't delete it when the package is deleted.  This
makes for easy upgrades.  At worst, it should ask if the user should
be deleted.

>How-To-Repeat:

pkg_delete the package.

>Fix:

Get rid of the pkg-deinstall script, please!!!