Date:      Sat, 24 May 1997 01:05:25 -0500
From:      Eddie White <ewhite@ms1.nwla.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   install dies

when i posted my first message, we were dog tired and so maybe i didn't
leave enough info.

trying to install fbsd 2.1.5 (i bought the cd and never used it) on a
gateway 2000, 486dx2, western dig ide drive (520m) and 16m ram.

during the install we loaded win95 just to test the hardware; all worked ok.

we built the boot floppy.  the box boots and we can go through all the disk
partition stuff (novice mode, we come from at&t 3B world).  when we commit
to the install, it says its loading drivers, etc. to the hard drive.  we
then get a window talking about copying /documentation and it hangs with 1%.
we see a burst of activity on the cd, a burst of activity on the hd, and
that's it.

we have tried different partion settings, with and without win95; the same
result.

anyone got any ideas?  i rule out a hardware problem since win95 loads and
runs fine.

thanks,
  eddie