Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:24:01 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Choosing a new laptop

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> probably said:
> Correct.  But some laptops have the Fn key in a different place.

and your point is ...

If your preference is for a Fn key elsewhere either deal with it or
don't buy an IBM. Claiming it is not fully functional because you
can't remap it when no other machines will let you remap it anyway is
kinda pointless.

You said, in massage id <20030708003749.GD7437@wantadilla.lemis.com>;

>> Fully working keyboard.
> Nope, see my complaints.  Is that different on your model?

Responding "Nope" to "Fully working keyboard" says to me that you are
claiming that they keyboard does not work fully. I do not see anything
that does not work fully (including the suspend/hibernate functions,
volume, mute, contrast, keyboard light, etc) on my X30 under BSD.

Your complaints were;

> I don't like the keyboard.

> I was thinking specifically of the T22 when I wrote that: the bottom
> left key is Fn, and you can't remap it.  Is that different on your
> machine?  Also, the T22 only had this damn silly eraser head "mouse".

So your complaints were that you don't like trackpoints and you don't
like a Fn key in the bottom left corner. Neither of these preferences
prevent the keyboard from working fully. I wasn't overly thrilled with
either when I got the machine, but I've become used to both.

If you meant something else that prevents it working then please
explain.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu