Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:36:22 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Essenz Consulting <john@athena.lightningone.net>, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Onboard Intel NIC

>I've asked about this several times and was beaten silly by Wes Peters and
>Co. . It seems that they dont like to be bothered by the thousands of
>people suffering from a driver that is not up to date (linux and netbsd
>were fixed months ago)......they are way too busy working on 5.0 or
>something else that about 1% of their user base is using to be bothered by
>routine driver maintenance.
>
>While the card "works" you wont be able to set media-related features..so
>you really do need the fix. I've successfully fixed our version and its
>working nicely.....I've forwarded the info to DG so hopefully it will be
>patched soon.

   While I appreciate the assistence that Dennis has provided me in the past
few days with regard to this problem, I really don't think these barbs are
justified. There have been some recent Intel boards that haven't worked with
FreeBSD, but until just recently I wasn't able to find one and the person
who orginally reported the problem just returned the card for one that did
work. In fact I wasn't able to determine for several weeks that it even was
a software issue.
   As for "thousands of people people suffering from a driver that is not
up-to-date", I think you are *way* overstating the breadth of the problem.
I'll also point out that hundreds of thousands of people find the fxp driver
a lifesaver and one of the best functioning network drivers in the source
tree. Your comments definately piss me off and definately provide for major
negative motivation as far as my interest in solving this problem is
concerned. Bludgeoning tactics like yours might sometimes work in business,
but they sure as hell don't work in free software development.
   As said in previous mail, I'll implement a solution as soon as I can find
some time. I'm extremely busy these days and if I can somehow squeeze in some
quality development time inbetween multiple trips across te country, then
I will. Otherwise people will either have to use the patch I mailed out or
just wait.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.