Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:26:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trying to understand stack overflow

The traffic on -hackers suggests that there is a *major* concern about
stack overflow.  I asked around about this and was told that this was the
method of exploitation used by the famous internet Worm eight or nine
years ago.

I stopped by the bookstore to see if I could get a reference on 386
assembly language so I could understand this business of stack pointers
and frames a little better, but couldn't find one.  There were books about
the Alpha and PowerPC, but not on 386, 486 or Pentium machine language.
Are there any decent on-line references that I can look at?

I was not aware of this method of security attack.  At least as far as the
setlocale() vulnerability in 2.1.6 and earlier, the attacker has to be
logged into your system.  Are there any means of attack which can bust
directly into your system from the internet without first logging in
with a password?  I am told the the Worm exploited finger and possibly
sendmail to bust in.

When I saw one person posting that he was having trouble sleeping at
night because of this problem, I began to be curious.

Charles Mott