Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 20:17:52 +1200
From:      wheely <wheely@thevortex.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Terminate signal

When I "halt" the system naturally it sends the terminate signal to all
processes. My users and I run a program that writes several files when it
receives the terminate signal before terminating. My problem is that
because I have such a slow IDE disk and several instances of the program
are running, the time inbetween the signal and the actual termination is
not enough for the writing process to finish.

The writing process consists of writing 3 files per program under temporary
filenames (so if the quota is full it does not erase the current file) then
moving it to its final name. Sometimes the files write ok and the moving
does not occur, sometimes an empty file is written.

I do not have a problem with the program on a system with a desent SCSI disk.

My question is, is there a setting where I can increase the length of time
between the terminate signal and the termination? If not has anyone got any
ideas on workarounds? I'm using 2.2.5-RELEASE currently.

Thanks

wheely