Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 00:46:12 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum question : automatic mounting at boot, NFS?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 05:53:16PM +0100, rene@xs4all.nl wrote:
> Hija Greg,
>
> Tuesday, January 18, 2000, 12:05:30, you seem to have written:
> GL> On Monday, 17 January 2000 at 14:17:59 +0100, rene@xs4all.nl wrote:
> >> Hija Olaf,
> >>
> >> Sunday, January 16, 2000, 23:53:48, you seem to have written:

> >> Thanx for your reply. However, it didn't quite fix it; (after booting)
> >>
> >> bash-2.02# mount /mnt/large
> >> mount: exec mount_ffs not found in /sbin, /usr/sbin: No such file or directory
> >>
> >> if I change the type field in /etc/fstab to 'ufs' instead of 'ffs', I
> >> get a filesystemcheck error; /dev/vinum/rmyvol: device not configured
> >>
> >> this is probably coz at that time, vinum hasn't started yet.
>
> GL> Correct.  You should set start_vinum in your rc.conf.
>
> messenger:/usr/home/rene # cat /etc/rc.conf
> # This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> # please make all changes to this file.
>
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> gateway_enable="YES"
> nfs_server_enable="YES"
> network_interfaces="xl0 lo0"
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 194.109.23.212 netmask 255.255.255.240"
> defaultrouter="194.109.23.209"
> hostname="messenger"
> domainname="outerheaven.net"
> inetd_enable="NO"
> portmap_enable="NO"
> nfs_client_enable="NO"
> rpc_statd_enable="NO"
> syslogd_flags="-s"
> start_vinum="YES"
>

> >> for completeness, the line from fstab:
> >>
> >> /dev/vinum/myvol        /mnt/large      ufs     rw,noauto       1       2
>
> GL> Was that a complete statement?
>
> I don't quite understand your question...

OK, I'm really begining to get tired of this thread. Can we start
over?

A couple of questions and ideas:

1) What FreeBSD version are you running?

2) What does the dmesg output look like after a boot (before manually
   trying to run anything)? Are there any messages to the screen not
   making it to the dmesg?

3) What does dmesg look like after successfully starting vinum by hand?

4) The 'start_vinum' is set at the end of the rc.conf, is there a
   carriage return after it? Make sure there's a blank line or two to
   be safe (I like to peg a line with '#End' at the end of all of my
   scripts just to be sure).

5) Does vinum try to start before all SCSI devices (HDDs are the
   worry) have settled and been discovered?