Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:17:06 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Sasa Stupar <sasa@stupar.homelinux.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slices

Sasa Stupar wrote:

> --On 12. december 2005 19:29 -0500 Jerry McAllister
> <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

>> The main two reasons for dividing up your FreeBSD disk in to partitions
>> rather than making just one big partition are to reduce the threat of
>> runaway processes and to manage backup and restore sizes.
>>
>> Think those things out to meet your needs and resources.
>>
>> ////jerry
>>

> OK. But then what would be ideal slice size for /, /var, /usr, /boot?

A word of probable caution (though I stand ready to be corrected):

        FreeBSD isn't like Linux in the fact that it expects /boot to be
in / (the 'a' slice of whatever disk the bootmgr has been instructed
to use)... so a seperate /boot will likely get you in trouble....

       I don't *think* I'm wrong on this; search the list archives for
a discussion of this within the last 60 days or so.  If I *am* wrong,
perhaps someone with more Unix-fu (well, spefically FBSD-fu) can
give a more correct explanation of the funny idea in the back of my head....

Kevin Kinsey

--
What is the sound of one hand clapping?