Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:42:00 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Martins Struka" <martinss2000@inbox.lv>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: E-Mail_config

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Martins Struka

Martins,
This list community prefers that you post messages using PLAIN text
only - not Rich Text.

> Dear Sir / Madam,
> We bought a IBM Netfinity 3000 server and plan to run on it e-mail and
web server, and we are
> considering to put FreeBSD on it (we allready use FreeBSD on our ASP
server for bookkeeping
> software). We plan to use Linux KDE mail klient KMail and as SMTP
server we use our ISP server
> mail.XXXXXXX.lv. My qestion to you are as follows:
> 1.    Which components / deamons do I have to configure to run e-mail
server (as I understand:
> sendmail, DNS)?

Sendmail will do the MTA job just fine.  BSD has a popper daemon which
will allow KMail to POP the messages from the server.  If you wish to
use IMAP you will need to look into Courier, or QMail, or another IMAP
server.

DNS should already be running elsewhere in your infrastructure, but it
can be run on FreeBSD if you want to.  FreeBSD has BIND/named included
in the base installation.

> 2.    Which components / deamons do I have to configure to run web
server (as I understand:
> apache)?

Apache is good.

> 3.    Is it enough to configure just sendmail and DNS?

Yes - for email.  You need Apache (or similar) for HTTP.

> Best wishes from Latvia.

Likewise from South Africa :)

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.