Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:16:05 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6vesd=E1n_G=E1bor?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
Cc:        FreeBSD - Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6

On 7/26/05, K=F6vesd=E1n G=E1bor <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu> wrote:
> Nikolas Britton wrote:
>=20
> >Is it just me or is -O2 now the default for kernel builds? What about
> >-Os, safe to use?
> >

> So is it for me. But if I specify some CFLAGS, for example -O3
> -march=3Dathlon64, the
> building fails, but CFLAGS mustn't affect the kernel compiling process
> afaik. There is
> COPTFLAGS for that reason. I've also made a PR about this new, unwanted
> behaviour,
> but haven't got any answers so yet.
>=20

You are right, COPTCLAGS is for the kernel only. -O3 is not officially
supported for CFLAGS or COPTFLAGS. If you use -O3 for CFLAGS it will
break some ports. Also from my experience using anything higher then
CPUTYPE=3Dp2 will break ports (like gstreamer).

This is what I normally add to my make.conf file:
CPUTYPE=3Dp2
CFLAGS=3D -Os -pipes
COPTFLAGS=3D -Os -pipes
#CXXFLAGS=3D don't remember what I set this too, don't use it a lot.

If I want a port to build with different settings I just tell it to
inline... make CPUTYPE=3Dp4 install clean etc.

As far as -O2 as the default for the kernel... I thought it was more
important to have a small kernel then a faster but fatter one. The
smaller the kernel the more you can put in L1,2, and 3 cache and the
smaller the program the less it needs to hit ram, swap, and hard disk?
isn't this what apple does with their OS-X builds?