Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:57:56 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sign your name in pkg-descr is useless or useful?

Will Andrews <will@csociety.org> wrote:

> We can also set rules for how "MAINTAINER" should be formatted.
> How about this:
>
> MAINTAINER=	email@address Name1 Name2 Name3 ...
>
> ... this will still allow programs that interpret MAINTAINER
> directly by taking the second field (whitespace delimiter) to
> work correctly, and makes writing said function simple.

Oh, come on.  You can feed

Foo Bar <fbar@some.place>

directly to sendmail -t.  And most other places will use the full
field name.  Extracting the e-mail address for a mailto: link isn't
exactly magic either.  Nobody suggests requiring a full RFC822
parser, you don't need to handle all sorts of quoting and parentheses.

About the only "problem" I foresee is whether to force our Japanese
etc developers into Firstname Lastname order.