Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:30:14 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris__byrnes@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arplookup xx.xxx.xx.xxx failed: host is not on local network

[Inappropriate cross-post to -stable removed.]

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 02:08:51PM -0500, Chris Byrnes wrote:
> My /var/log/messages is being filled, non-stop, by these errors looped:
>
> Sep 15 13:41:28 servername /kernel: arplookup xx.xxx.xx.xxx failed: host is
> not on local network
> Sep 15 13:41:28 servername /kernel: arplookup xx.xxx.xx.xxx failed: host is
> not on local network
>
> After doing some reading, I've already issued, "sysctl -w
> net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface=0" thinking that would fix the
> problem.  Unfortunately, it has not.
>
> Any ideas?

This is a netmask problem, but not really the one that other people
have described. This is how it usually works. Your troubled machine
above, "servername," receives an ARP who-has from another machine on
the LAN called "clientname." However, the IP address that clientname
gives as a source does not match up to any local networks that
servername knows about.

For example, say servername has an address of 192.0.2.10/25. The other
machine has 192.0.2.210/24. When servername gets an ARP (which is
broadcast so servername gets it fine),

  who-has 192.0.2.10 tell 192.0.2.210

It gets confused. 192.0.2.210 is not local (as far as it is concerned)
so it logs an error.

Note that this is not a harmless error. These two machine cannot talk
to each other.

The fix, of course, is to make sure all machines on the same LAN have
the same netmask.