Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 05:04:53 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: buildworld breakage due to cross-tools/libc/mktemp.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, John Polstra wrote:

> Jason Evans  <jasone@canonware.com> wrote:
>
> > 2) Make a separate copy of mktemp.c to remove the internal dependency.
>
> I think this is the best approach -- likewise for getobjformat.c,

I agree.  egcs provided "mkstemp.c" to handle the problem, but this
didn't work on Warner's system because he had mkstemps() in libc
(mkstemp.c actually implements mkstemps()) and there is a linker
bug that breaks elf static linkage (library functions can only be
replaced by functions of the same size?).  The "fix" was to add
mkstemps() to the -current libc and not use the egcs version.  Three
or four subsequent "fixes" led to the current evil one.  gcc has
complicated things a little by moving mkstemp.c to a version of
libiberty which we don't have.  Reaching out to the libiberty tree
is only slightly better than reaching out to the libc tree.

Anyway, the main problem is yours to fix in ld :-).

Bruce