Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:42:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jfieber@indiana.edu, terry@lambert.org, lyndon@orthanc.com, grog@lemis.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is the documentation for ibcs2?

> Indeed, and speaking from my experience as an ISV who was actively
> part of SCO's developer program (doing ports of 1-2-3 and NOTES to
> SCO) I can tell you that SCO's official party line for *years* was
> "don't use our shared libraries - please link all commercial apps
> static."
>
> There are a lot of static apps out there.

You have the SCO compatible "install" script written yet so you can
actually "install as a third party app"?

I also happen to know that Lotus 1-2-3's SVR3 port uses the return of
the uname as "copy protection" during the install when putting together
a binary file that the installed program then references when the
application is run.

So install is a three-toed bitch, unless you take an SVR3 box, snapshot
the whole system, install the package (after changing the system name
to match the FreeBSD box name), snapshot the tree again and use the
diffs to identify an "install image", tar up an "install image",
deinstall the binaries on the SVR3 system, and change the name of the
SVR3 system back.

Then you take the tar image and put it on the BSD box.

Installing Sybase, Word, MS BASIC, and FoxBase are all similarly
involved.

Without IBCS2 install tools all you are doing is taking a person
with an uloaded gun, loading it for them, and saying "aim for your
foot".

Better that you not load the gun.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org