Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 05:40:04 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Christopher Smith <drsmithy@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Ppro motherboards

Christopher Smith wrote:

> I've always wanted to have an SMP system and having noticed recently a
> lot of Ppro/200s (some with 512k cache) going on ebay for around the
> $50US mark, I'm seriously considering making myself up an SMP FreeBSD
> Box.
>
> Anyway, one of the things holding me back is the potential cost of
> fitting out a Dual PPro board with 128MB+ of EDO SIMMs.  I figured
> there's probably quite a few guys on these lists who have dealt with
> this sort of hardware in the past, so I was wondering if anyone knows:
>
> Were there any Ppro boards made that supported SDRAM (ie DIMMs) ?
> I believe riser cards are available to convert Socket 8 CPUs to Slot 1 -
> does anyone have any experience with them ?

If you are looking at producing a more powerfull computer, I think you are
going about it in the wrong way. I have an Athlon 900 system and a dual 866
coppermine system. The Athlon runs about 10% slower than the dual 866's and
cost much less. The expected ratio in multiprocessor systems used to be 1.8
and the dual 866's really miss that mark.

The memory in a old PPro box has to be a severe limitation. I have a Celeron
433 that runs about 40% slower than a P-III 400. It used to run 50% slower,
which just turns out to be the ratio 100MHz memory vs 66MHz memory, and then
I replaced the PC-66 memory with PC-100 and it ran about 15% faster.

I don't think an old 66MHz FSB system is a good deal at any price. You could
purchase a fairly good AMD Durlon(?) for the price you are going to spend of
the two PPros and have a much more effective system.

Kent

> Cheers,
> CS
>
> --
> "I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
> too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that
> 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were
> you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'" --Mike
> Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com