Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:04:48 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Experiencing very slow raw write speeds on /dev/ad1

Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> types:
> I wonder if the lack of "raw" disk partitions on FreeBSD might be an
> issue here. (Yes, the raw devices are still there, but there is no
> longer any difference between them and the "cooked" devices.) This is
> a bit beyond my expertise.

It was explained to me that cooked devices should only be used when
mounting a file system. People using them for other things has caused
a number of problems in the past. Mount got fixed so it no longer
needed raw devices as part of other work, so the "cooked" devices were
removed as unneeded.

	<mike