Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:46:06 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        William Wong <willwong@samurai.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sh MAKEDEV all

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 12:30:31PM +0100, j mckitrick wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 11:29:19PM -0400, William Wong wrote:
> | Hi there,
> |=20
> | After cvsup'n to RELENG_4_4 (from STABLE around July)
> |=20
> | I got this error when doing a 'sh MAKEDEV all'
> |=20
> | [mosquito] /dev>sh MAKEDEV all
> | MAKEDEV: arith: syntax error: =E0
> | "=EE
> |=20
> | bad node: mknod i4bteld1
> |=20
> | Though I don't think it affects anything since I don't use this device,=
 it's
> | kinda odd to get this error.
> |=20
> | Mailing list archives reveal that 2 other ppl have reported this problem
> | this month:
> |=20
> | http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D1047683+1050677+/usr/loca=
l/www/d
> | b/text/2001/freebsd-stable/20010916.freebsd-stable
> |=20
> | http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D802451+804089+/usr/local/=
www/db/
> | text/2001/freebsd-stable/20010916.freebsd-stable
> |=20
> | Anyone know what's causing this though?
>=20
> It's a bug in sh, caused by CPUTYPE, that screws up handling of the devic=
es
> in MAKEDEV.

Not really caused by CPUTYPE - the PR was submitted long before
CPUTYPE was added.  According to the PR, it's broken code in sh which
exhibits failure depending on the stack alignment and previous stack
usage.  Certain gcc optimizations enabled by some values of CPUTYPE
have (for some reason) recently started triggering this code bug.

Kris

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--