Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:06:52 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        David Wagner <dawagner@vt.edu>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o?= Fernandes <OpsyDopsy@netcabo.pt>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network stops working

David Wagner wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Joćo Fernandes wrote:
>
> > I have a realtek 8139 and a cable modem. I use DHCP to connect to the network
> > and my /etc/dhclient.conf has nothing on it.
> >
> > My problems are:
> >       The speed of my connections are way slower in FreeBSD than are
> > in windows;  To the extent of downloading at 2 kps when in windows I
> > would download the same file from the same site at 70kps.
>
> Well, I have a theory, because I had somewhat similar behavior.  Some
> cable modem + nic combinations have trouble autdetecting the line speed.
> Try forcing your connection to 10BaseT half duplex (which is almost
> guaranteed to be what the cable modem supports).  Example:
>
> % ifconfig rl0 media 10baseT/UTP
>
> This managed to triple my connection speed in most cases...

Yeah this most defiantly sounds like an incorrect media or duplex
setting... I wouldnt use the NIC the cable company gave you since
its most probably a pile of crap... They basically never have any
hardware features, and I have had them just die on me of there own
will...

The reason it probably works in windows, is because you have the
driver from the cable company installed for it with the correct
settings set...

Anyway Good Luck!
Kal.