Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:15:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Eric Griff <eric@netdesign1.com>
Subject:   SOLVED. Re: ps problems (explained)

I solved my ps problems, and I want to share my happiness with the list :)

- I cvsupped the sources of -stable on Apr 10 14:07.

- I made a buildworld in multi-user.

- I made an installworld after in single-user mode.

- I compile a GENERIC kernel and update /dev, /etc and /stand.

- ps still gives me the creeps. ("bad namelist").

- uptime is messed up as said below.

- I move /var/run/utmp to /tmp then touch /var/run/utmp.

- uptime is back on the track.

- I compile a custom kernel without nfs, vm86, bpfilter, ether, pca0,
speaker from my previous kernel version.

- This one works great! ps is working again!!!

I do think that the problems was first due to a installworld in multi-user
mode, which probably corrupted /var/run/utmp and the /proc filesystem as I
tried to remove /proc from fstab and put it back again to make ps work.
I'm not sure though... It could be just rebuilding the kernel that made ps
work as I did both at the same time.

So the lesson is:

- installworld or simple world in single-user mode. Always.

- that is all :)

- oh yeah, and read the error messages of the programs :))