Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 00:17:22 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding 25GB as single partition ok ?

>>> You can't easily back up /var, at least using dump.
>>
>> I've actually picked up some good input from some Digital
>> Unix folks :

Ooops, in retrospect.. that sounded really rude of me.
What I meant was "I've picked up more good input (in
addition to that provided by FBSD people) and it
came from DU folk". Apologies for any misinterpretation.

>>> 2. The root partition looks a little small, I'd be more comfortable with
>>>   150-200mb.
>
>That might be right for Digital UNIX.  It's far too large for
>FreeBSD.  40 or 50 MB is more typical.

True.

>>> 5. If the 25GB raid set is to be used only for the mail spool, why
>>>   not just mount it as /var/spool/mail or to be more flexable,
>>>   /var/spool?
>
>Why not call the file system /var?

Well, I'm using Cyrus IMAPd (which I finally managed to get working
in  harmony with Qmail 10 minutes ago after 24 hours of grief) so all
mail is guaranteed to go to /var/spool/imap/

Seems nicer to keep mail/data on there and the OS/logfiles/config
on the HD. But this is all matter of choice I guess -
"horses for courses" as they say.

>>> Mail, as opposed to news, generates one spool file per user.  Depending
>>> on the number of users, you may want to consider adjusting the inode
>>> or extent ratio that you use.
>>>
>>> I don't remember the max size for a UFS partiion, but if you are using
>>> UFS -- don't forget to set the inodes per kb down to one or two.  This
>>> will reduce the avialable space bya small amount but will let you handle
>>> more small files.
>
>If this is primarily mail, you won't need to do this.

happy to hear. :)

> If it's
>primarily news, it's a good idea.  Remember that the only way to
>increase the number of inodes (files) is to re-newfs the file system,
>which involves a backup and restore of the complete Raid set.  Even a
>fast tape drive (2 MB/s) would take about 8 hours to back up the data,
>and possibly about 12 hours to restore; count 24 hours uninterrupted
>work to rebuild it.

Thank you for the figures there. This was precisely why I
sought as much input as possible now that the configuration
is flexible. The thought of such backup/restore's wasn't
too appealing when the server is live.

Cheers,

chas