Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:30:58 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <smckay@internode.on.net>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE problem: "Too many LQR packets lost"

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:29:21 -0400, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:47:26 +1000, in sentex.lists.freebsd.net you
> wrote:
>

> >I found Mike Tancsa's patch but didn't like it.  I rolled my own, which
> >seems to be working so far.  It works by switching from LQR to simple
> >echo requests when LQR times out.
>
> I feel so unliked ;-)   Seriously though, mine was a very ugly hack to
> get things working again for me.   Most of the DSL aggregators here
> are Juniper ERXes which do not play nice with FreeBSD's PPPoE.
>

> >(This is a patch against ppp in FreeBSD 4.8.  I haven't tried the ppp in
> >-current yet as -current is still a wild and woolly place that scares me.)
>
> I think Brian re worked the LQR portion at least from looking at the
> commit messages
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/ppp/
>
> It seems he will be MFC'ing his changes in another week or so.
>
> 	---Mike

Yes, that's the plan.  I'd like you guys to test the new LQR stuff when
I MFC if you can.

I think there are good arguments for having more than one LQR failure policy
(disconnect when the peer doesn't respond), so I'll probably implement
something like this when the latest stuff has been tested.

Cheers.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>