Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:14:55 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Max Cloud" <chessylew@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: URGENT!!!PLEASER HELP!!! THANKX!!!

Hello Max,
>     Morning, i got a problem over this FreeBSD and Linux red hat 6.2, the
> thing is, i have some PC that are loaded with linux red hat 6.2, then i want
> to install FreeBSD as my second Operating System, at first i was not able to
> install because i can't set a partition for BSD, after that i used Partition
> Magic to make a partition from my existing linux. But my linux was an
> extended partition and so the FreeBSD can see or detect it when install,
> after that i manage to make the partition to "primary" partition. and
> finally i have install FreeBSD. But when i reboot, there is some option like
> "F1 Linux" "F2 Dos" and "F3 FreeBSD", but note that the F1 and F2 cannot
> fucntion, when you press it just came out the sound "beep..", the only thing
> can work is "F3" which is FreeBSD, so i try to solve this problem by using
> boot manager like XOSL 1.1.5, after i install, they said "Install error", so
> when i restart, they load it to XOSL but still the same thing, linux is
> missing. And FreeBSD remain there. So i try reinstall my FreeBSD and when
> they ask about booting option i try "boot manager", the second one and the
> "none" one. but all these 3 also can't work. They won't bring me back to
> Linux.
>
> So, how can I solve above problem?
>
> 1) So how can i make my linux and FreeBSD bootable and working ?

Most probably you have overwritten your lilo in the MBR (master boot record),
when you installed FreeBSD. You must boot from a Linux rescue disk or CD and
reinstall lilo in the boot record of the Linux partition (!) that is not in the
MBR.

> 2) Can FreeBSD and linux Red Hat 6.2 install at the same harddisk and what
> boot manager are advices to use?

Everything works: lilo, xosl, FreeBSD boot loader, grub, ...

> 3) Beside using FreeBSD boot manager and XOSL 1.1.5, are they anything else
> which is better?

xosl will give the most Wows, when seen by your friends. :-)

> 4) Are they any "step by step" installation guide for "Installing Linux and
> FreeBSD at the same HDD"?

Search for "linux HOWTO freebsd" in your favourite search engine.

> 5) If i would install my linux and FreeBSD, which one should i install
> first?

If you know what you are doing both ways are fine. Make sure to never overwrite
lilo, before copying it to the Linux partition.

> 6) How come the boot manager shows ¡§F1 Linux¡¨, ¡§F2 Dos¡¨¡K. But when I
> pres F1 it can¡¦t go it to linux?

Because you have overwritten lilo in the MBR.

> 7) Can  you guide me to the installation of FreeBSD? I got the installation
> guide from www.FreeBSD.org, but still can¡¦t work on Linux.

Look into the above mentioned HOWTO for further hints.

> 8) Can I have FreeBSD, linux and unix, 3 Operating System at the same time?

Yes.

> Final question, I understand that FreeBSD and Linux is  a kind of ¡§UNIX¡¨,
> so where can I get the pure unix?

There is none. Look into the history of Unix and be astonished, whch variety of
things are covered by the term "Unix".

Ciao
Siegbert