Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 15:49:40 -0800
From:      "Alec Wolman" <wolman@cs.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MAXDSIZ limit

Hello,

   I'm running FreeBSD 3.0-19981103 SNAP, and I'm running into a problem
or two.  I first tried changing MAXDSIZE in my kernel config file to

MAXDSIZ 2048*1024*1024

This causes numerous compilation warnings, presumably because the
calculations being done with the number are signed rather than unsigned.
Setting it to 2000*1024*1024 eliminates all of those warnings except
for one, in imgact_elf.c.  I tried booting this kernel, but it dies.
I don't have the exact error message, but the kernel boots up and
manages to go through the device configuration, but when it gets to
execing an elf process things go haywire.  I think the error message
had to do with being unable to start getty.

When I fixed the compiler warning with the following change,
and I changed MAXDSIZ to 1500*1024*1024, and rebooted, then things
seemed to work ok.  However, I suspect that lowering MAXDSIZ rather
than fixing the code is what made things better.  Does anyone here
understand why the elf code needs to multiply MAXDSIZ by 2 and then
use that as a base address for something else?  Is anyone with a
bit more expertise interested in looking into this problem?

Thanks,

Alec

*** imgact_elf.c~       Sun Oct 25 09:44:50 1998
--- imgact_elf.c        Sat Nov 28 15:22:28 1998
***************
*** 498,504 ****
        vmspace->vm_dsize = data_size >> PAGE_SHIFT;
        vmspace->vm_daddr = (caddr_t)(uintptr_t)data_addr;

!       addr = 2L*MAXDSIZ; /* May depend on OS type XXX */

        imgp->entry_addr = entry;

--- 498,504 ----
        vmspace->vm_dsize = data_size >> PAGE_SHIFT;
        vmspace->vm_daddr = (caddr_t)(uintptr_t)data_addr;

!       addr = 2UL*(unsigned)MAXDSIZ; /* May depend on OS type XXX */

        imgp->entry_addr = entry;