Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 01:05:07 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Victor Salaman <salaman@teknos.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openssl in -current

At 8:09 PM -0800 2/19/00, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Having _a_ general-purpose cryptography toolkit in the base system allows
> > us to add in all sorts of cool things to FreeBSD (https support for fetch,
> > openssh, random cryptographic enhancements elsewhere). OpenSSL just
> > happens to be the only decent freely-available (BSDL) toolkit.
>
>And I still think that this is a reasonable objective, the current
>gymnastics for making it happen making me wonder whether or not that
>would not be an objective better moved to sometime in September.

This will be a lot easier once the patent expires.  We would probably
be better off sticking with the ports-version until then, so we don't
have to delay 4.0-release until all the issues are sorted out.  If
4.0 is delayed, I want it delayed for things which are actually busted,
and not to move features from the ports collection to the base system.

I think everyone agrees that having a cryptography toolkit in the
base system would be great, but we don't have to have it for *this*
release, and there are no "cool things" for *this* release which
depend on some cryptography toolkit being part of the base system.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute