Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 2009 22:54:57 -0700
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Yavuz <maslak@ihlas.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is there any way to increase disk performance ?

Yavuz wrote:
> I have freebsd7 (amd64 bit)  and sata2 disk 7200 rpm.
>
> it's running mail server which has services like pop3,imap,smtp and
> webmail on this machine.
>
> When I type systat 1 -vmstat on command line, even I rarely see that
> disk usage hits 100%.
> I have no problem as ram and cpu.  they is enough.
>
> is there any way to increase disk performance without causing any problem ?

So in one second, the disk hits 100% utilization, weather it's reading
or writing data to disk.  You said above that "I rarely see" -- so even
though, as a server, you're running slow spindles, you are doing pretty
good.

I've no real experience with a site that's (for example) been
slashdotted, to test what is tolerable, and what's not.  But as I
currently guess, an OVERALL average between 25% to 33% is about as much
as I would ever tax a server for CONSISTENT averages.

So if you're seeing it rarely, such as when somebody hits webmail and
takes 1 second of constant disk read to serve the content, I'd be happy
there...

I don't think you have a problem, when you put your concern into the
broader scope of 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day or 1 week.  It'll be very
difficult to never see 100% in 1 second no matter how powerful the
machine is.

HTH
--Tim