Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:56:54 -0500
From:      scion+fbsdq@webrelay.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about Ultra-sparc and alpha: what makes the difference?

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:27:51 +0800
From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com>

>Hello. The question sounds really silly, but google with "compare sparc
>i386 alpha" / "benchmark sparc i386 alpha" doesn't give meaningful
>result in several pages. Please suggest me a better keyword compilation:)

How about this instead:

Sparc (UltraSparc) A 32(64) bit processor designed by Sun
Microsystems to advance beyond the Motorola 68040.
Chips made by TI, Fujitsu, and perhaps others.

www.sparcinternational.com

Alpha, A 64 bit processor designed by Digital to advance
beyond the VAX architecture.  Digital, bought by Compaq,
merged into HP.
Chips made by Samsung (only, I think)

www.alpha-processor.com (which may no longer work)

FreeBSD runs on them all, multi-processor.  They are more
expensive primarily due to their lower volumes and the
desire of their manufacturers to not enter low-margin
markets.  As a result, there is more money per computer
to manufacture hi-quality enclosures.  But this can be
done with x86 systems, of course.

-sam