Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 18:12:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        nathan@bridgeonline.com.au
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Toshiba Laptop & Xircom REM56

>From: Nathan Johncock <nathan@bridgeonline.com.au>
>Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:33:01 +1030

>I'm triying to get a Xircom Realport (PC-CARD 16bit) Ethernet + Modem working
>on a toshiba laptop running FreeBSD 4.4Release. I only am interrested in
>getting the Ethernet port working.

>the xe driver seems to be in the generic kernel and i have enabled pccard in
>rc.conf

>when the machine boots up it detects the card as a CEM56 ( card is REM56 )
>and says driver allocation failed - device not configured.

>here is the entry from pccard.conf

># Xircom Credit Card Ethernet 10/100 + modem (Ethernet part) (CEM56)
>card "Xircom" "CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56"
>	config	0x27 "xe0" ?
>#	config	auto "sio2" ?
>	insert	/etc/pccard_ether $device start
>	remove	/etc/pccard_ether $device stop

Curious; what I have in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf (I don't use
/etc/pccard.conf) is:

# Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + modem (Ethernet part) (CEM56)
card "Xircom" "CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56"
	config  0x27 "xe" ?
#	config  auto "sio" ?
	insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
	remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

(The "xe0" vs. "xe" may be significant.)

>What does it mean "device not configured" and how do i fix it?

I just (this afternoon) bought an Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 Mobile Adapter
(16-bit version), and had a devil of a time getting it to work (same mode
of failure: "driver allocation failed for Intel(EtherExpress(TM) PRO/100
PC Card Mobile Adapter16): Device not configured") until, following a hint
I found in the archives, I added

machdep.pccard.mem_start=0xd0000

to /etc/sysctl.conf (both for -STABLE and -CURRENT).

Works now.  :-)

Cheers,
david
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.