Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 02:18:10 -0700
From:      Benjamin Bentsen <President@usww.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   CNAMEs

Here is a dumb question!

I am on a server using freebsd. They made me a test host e.g
test.usww.com
My regular is usww.com They told me to go ahead and add what ever I
wanted to
but they could not help. I am trying to learn while on their server so
that when
I put up my own I won't have a lot of problems. I have compiled a server
using
port 8888 as a test (http://usww.com:8888 and http://test.usww.com:8888
and http://207.15.223.24:888). They will not allow me to mess with any
of there files
directly. Stew hinted to check into 'named' 'nslookup' and 'host' for
the information I
needed. Frankly I am lost. I have printed those out read over them
several times. I don;t know what I am missing. How do I use any one of
those commands to add another
host? My httpd.conf on my test server and all the other set was straight
forward. How
do I get a DNS entry without bothering them? Or if I have to bother them
what files
and/or commands with they have to use to complete the task?

I am getting you new version of FreeBsd and going to throw out my SCO is
I can feel confident that I can do what I need to. So far everything is
gone well except this
dumb question. Is it so simple I can not see the forest for the trees?
The only reason
I am on a different system is that I will not have ISDN capabilities for
6 more months
in this area. At which time I am going to put up my own server.

HELP!

Benjamin Bentsen
usashopper.com
usww.com