Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:15:32 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "Oleg V. Volkov" <rover@lglobus.ru>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to find absolute name of running binary?

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Oleg V. Volkov wrote:
>
>> Well subject says it all. How could i find absolute name of my running
>> binary from inside it? References to man or C examples welcome.
>
> I think some permutation of getcwd(3) and argv[0] should help, perhaps
> with lstat (to check if you were run via a symlink)

That won't do much if people give the program crap in argv[0], e.g.
execlp("foo", "ha ha, fooled you!", "-x", "-y", "z", NULL), will
it? There's some about this in some FAQ somewhere (comp.unix.programmer
FAQ maybe, I'm not sure), and it basically boils down to "don't
do it". I'd like to know what Oleg is doing and why he needs this
information.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and