Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 00:38:59 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: soft updates

Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org> types:
> On Sunday 16 September 2001 20:53, Nathan Mace wrote:
> > basically what i'm asking is is it stable?  and how much of a performance
> > gain am i gonna see?  thanks
>
> "Yes," and "a lot", respectively, but you *must* turn off write-cache on your
> disk if you are going to use soft updates.

Only for IDE drives. SCSI provides features that let you use
write-cache safely - if the driver you are using supports the
feature. Check the driver manual page for "tagged queuing". If the
driver supports that, you can turn write caching on for the SCSI
drives attached to it.

IDE disks that support tagged queuing are coming and the ATA driver
supports them, but the most recent report I have says they aren't very
reliable.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.