Date:      Thu, 15 May 2008 23:41:05 +0200
From:      "Danny Pansters" <danny@ricin.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: pvr-xxx on 7.0

mplayer has been updated, that might be the difference. With my ffcxm backend
for kbtv, I have basically turned ffplay into a library and added some simple
stuff (to fit into backend api). One thing I noticed is that the only way to
keep a/v in sync is to call the ffcxm event code as soon as possible rather
than in line with the video frame rate as I was doing earlier. Considering
that ffmpeg/ffplay is multithreaded (but with some internally fixed
parameters, some of which I may have also made a bit more agressive in my
ffcxm), this is only logical.

So I think it's quite possible that what you're seeing is merely an
improvement in mplayer, in the way they use ffmpeg or in their thread
handling or both, not a necessarily a difference between FreeBSD 6 and 7.
I haven't looked at mplayer's source code recently.

I can say that kbtv2+cxm performed somewhat better on my i386 (fbsd6) and
amd64 (fbsd7) machine than mplayer did, but that's a while ago ~3 months.

That is unless you are using the same (old) mplayer than you were using
before. In that case I don't know why you're seeing this difference.

HTH,

Dan