Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:30:44 -0500
From:      Pete <pete-freebsd-questions@toscano.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "amnesiac" is disklabel?

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday,  2 February 2003 at 13:50:20 -0500, Pete wrote:
> > ==============================
> > [root@archive 13:44:07 root]# disklabel ar2
> > # /dev/ar2:
[snip]
> > bytes/sector: 512
> > sectors/track: 63
> > tracks/cylinder: 255
> > sectors/cylinder: 16065
> > cylinders: 3737
> > sectors/unit: 60036417
[snip]
> The only valid information  above this point are the geometry
> specifications, and even they are not very valid.

Just a further datapoint... /dev/ar1 and /dev/ar2 are the same disk make
and model.  disklabel on /dev/ar1 shows one less cylinder (3736) and a
corresponding lower number of sectors/unit (60034842).

> > What does this mean?  Whichever drive is last, that's the one I cannot
> > "disklabel -e" to set its fstype to "vinum".
>
> There must be some other reason for that.  Do you have any disk label
> at all?

Yes, it does.  I can even mount /dev/ar2e because I had created a disk
label on it when it was attached as /dev/ar1 previously.

The problem seems to be accessing /dev/ar2 with disklabel.  I've swapped
cables and cards.  I'm even currently using two cards (one ATA100 and
ATA133).  I've swapped the drives all around and the only constant
factor seems to be ar2.  With all three drives on one card (two master
and one slave) or spread between the two cards (all three masters), as
long as there were three drives, /dev/ar2 would be like this.

Is the ar driver only limited to two devices?

Thanks,
pete