Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:20:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Matsushita CR583 on Compaq Presario

I bought a Compaq Presario 6704 for less than $600.00.  Now
I'd like to install FreeBSD on it.

FreeBSD can't see the CDROM (I'm test installing 2.1.6 - I haven't
asked specifically for a 2.1.7 CDROM) and a search of the archives
results in this plea from Tyler Schutjer:

> > - I attempt to install from a boot floppy I downloaded, and then get to
> > the part where it   asks where I want to install from, and I indicate
> > from a CD, and I get an error message   saying that FreeBSD cannot find
> > my CD-ROM. It's listed in Compeq's diagnostics utility as   follows:
> >   Embedded IDE controller, base address 0x170
> >   8X CD-ROM, Drive Position 1
> >   MatshitaCD-ROM CR-583

And Doug White responded:

> Is it found during the boot probe?  (look for wcd0)  If not, try moving
> the CD to the slave position on the primary controller.

In my case no wcd0 is found. There is, however, a "wdc1 at 0x170-0x177
irq15 on isa" with no additional details.  This must be the CDROM.

Is there something I can kick in the source to wake it up without
moving cables?  Especially given that I have both a "PCI IDE" and an
IDE/ESDI controller - the setup according to the Window's "System
Properties - Device Manager" calls the regular drive this:

"PCI bus - Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller - Primary IDE controller
(single fifo)"

while the CD-ROM is off the "Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller"

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.               Voice: 508 433 6936