Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 00:23:20 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        dave adkins <adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/include param.h src/sys/i386/isa  apic_ipl.s apic_vector.s icu_ipl.s ipl.s ipl_funcs.c src/sys/i386/i386  exception.s locore.s microtime.s simplelock.s

Hi,

> >    - the possibility of deadlock exists, I am committing the code at this
> >      point so as to exercise it and detect any such cases B4 the
> >     "giant lock" is removed
> My Tyan S1563D 2x200 pentium system dies pretty early with these changes.
> I disabled all the sections and reenabled them one by one. The system
> continues to boot and run with all sections enabled except REAL_IFCPL.
> With REAL_IFCPL enabled the system hangs right after the boot loader
> messages and before the copyright and version is printed.

this is what I was looking for.  try modifying i386/isa/ipl_funcs.c:

move all the GENSPL() targets:

GENSPL(splbio, cpl |= bio_imask)
GENSPL(splclock, cpl = HWI_MASK | SWI_MASK)
GENSPL(splimp, cpl |= net_imask)
GENSPL(splnet, cpl |= SWI_NET_MASK)
GENSPL(splsoftclock, cpl = SWI_CLOCK_MASK)
GENSPL(splsofttty, cpl |= SWI_TTY_MASK)
GENSPL(splstatclock, cpl |= stat_imask)
GENSPL(splvm, cpl |= net_imask | bio_imask)

from b4 the GENSPL2() macro to just after it, ie with the 2 existing
GENSPL2() targets:

GENSPL2(splhigh, cpl = HWI_MASK | SWI_MASK)
GENSPL2(spltty, cpl |= tty_imask)

then change them all from GENSPL to GENSPL2.  reenable REAL_IFCPL and see
if that works.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by