Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:43:06 -0600
From:      Michael Porter <ocean@wavefront.com>
To:        keith Spencer <bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can 2 modems increase bandwidth?

HA! It does exist! Multilink PPP, eh?  I've often thought about doing
the following (but as of yet don't have the skills to make the relevent
programs):

have two modems, dial up both to provider.  At provider end and my end
would be programs to "filter" the packets.  When sending, it would
attach a number to each one, alternating sending through modem 1 and 2
(easily expandible) when recieving, the program would put the packets in
order and delete the reference number.  I know that there could have
been problems, such as one modem stalling, so I thought about having one
of the programs request sole use of the good modem until it works again
(and have it re-send the lost packets) and then test the modem every
couple of seconds.  Ahhhh......multilink PPP sounds much better.  I'll
drop my ISP a letter right now (crossing fingers)

Thanks!
Michael Porter
ocean@wavefront.com
port0095@tc.umn.edu