Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:06:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #0 r310265 amd64 seems to be cpi-ing garbage to mounted FAT32 fs after 10-20 GB.

Hello,

I've recently tried to make a switch to a bigger memory card in some
device; what I've discovered, is that FreeBSD is cp-ing garbage to a
mounted FAT32 fs after first 10-20 GB (depending on luck).

What I mean by garbage are non removable 'files' with random names
which cannot be escaped. The fastest way to get rid of them is newfs.

I've initially thought the problem were faulty memory card(s) but
I was able to test them (mounted as FAT32 still) with sysutils/f3.
They are fine, the utility writes(!) and reads them correctly.

However, as soon as cp (-a) gets involved, the garbage appears,
sometimes with CAM errors and reboots.

Additionally, I saw exactly the same errors with FAT32 on HDD
mounted via USB, so the cards are not a problem.

What I can do?

1. Reading is not at all affected, I can backup (cp -a) mounted FAT32
cards to UFS2 (local disk) without problems.
2. I can mount FAT32 and test the cards with sysutils/f3. The medium
(card) is tested via the same USB dual card reader as below.

What I can't do reliably, as garbage appears after first 10-20 GB?

1. I can't cp (-a) from UFS2 to mounted FAT32 partition. Smaller writes
are a matter of luck.
2. I can't cp (-a) from FAT32 (mounted fs on memory card A in dual card
reader)
to another FAT32 (mounted fs on memory card B in a dual card reader). Same
problem as above.

Any ideas?