Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:51:22 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can this really be true? FreeBSD not working on IBM T20's

> Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il> writes:
>
> }http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4QHLS4.html
>
> Scary stuff!

Unfortunately, when I try to load that page today I get:

"Our Apologies.
Information for the document /qtechinfo/MIGR-4QHLS4.html was not
found."

As for all the conspiracy theories, I'd be more inclined to
conclude that they just used that partition type by accident,
because they just weren't thinking about *bsd at the time.

I would think that in the future it would be trivial for IBM to
release a BIOS update to correct it, and I see little reason for them
not to.

If not, FreeBSD could possibly work around it, but it would probably
have a much greater impact on the FreeBSD community than it would on
Thinkpad users, the vast majority of which (including myself) would
probably never know what partition type the "suspend partition" used
anyway.

Otherwise, as someone else suggested, an option in sysinstall to
install on a non-default partition type would at least give an
alternative to those who aren't afraid of diverging from the norm in
order to get it to work on one of those machines.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium