Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 15:08:44 -0500
From:      Gabor Kincses <gabor@acm.org>
To:        samuel <SAMIGWE@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI (yet again)

samuel wrote:

> Gabor Kincses wrote:
> >
> > OK, I took the CDs and a boot floppy (all 2.2.5) to my friends' house to
> > install FreeBSD on their brand new Dell box.
> >
> > As it turns out they have a 6.4G as primary master and an ATAPI CD-ROM
> > device as secondary master.  There is also an ATAPI ZIP in it (the BIOS
> > didn't report its location).  The wcd0 probe was hanging quite a bit and
> > in the end the CD-ROM wasn't recognized.
> >
> > Since I can't just rejumper and rewire their brand new computer without
> > them throwing me out, I'm stuck.  They'd like FreeBSD, but they don't
> > understand the benefits, yet, so at this point this is a very hard
> > sell.  Would 2.2.6 be a cure for this?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> At the expense of stating the obvious, is the secondary ide port
> available and enabled in the system BIOS. the problem may just be
> something as simple as entering the BIOS and enabling the secondary
> port(ide). I faced a similar problem with my system. I foolishly forgot
> to enable the secondary port and Freebsd skipped the ide cdrom
> (secondary master ) initilization.

Since the CD-ROM works in W95 (which uses the BIOS) and I saw it show up
during the BIOS' detection, I assume the secondary channel is enabled.
I'll take a look at the exact setup again.  I think I just gave up a
little too quickly.

Thanks for the response, the point seems to be that it SHOULD be found
as secondary master, although as the other reply suggests a primary
slave might be helpful.  I'll probably just donate my 540MB drive to my
friends with 2.2.6 preinstalled, since there is no AGP support in the X
included with 2.2.5 anyway.

--
Gabor Kincses
(gabor@acm.org)