Date:      19 May 2001 18:18:32 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@poboxes.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@poboxes.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man broken -- mdoc error: end-macro (.em) ...

Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 02:59:31AM +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
[snip]

> This maybe because you have used -DNOCLEAN[DIR] in buildworld.

you're right.

> Show the -current mailing list archives for a detailed description
> of this particular problem.  When you see a major update from your

argh! maybe I've miss some post in -current ?

> cvsup logs, it's better to start from scratch, without -DNOCLEAN[DIR].

not so good on a poor machine which take a very long time to build the
world :)

> > also, I've found a lot of garbage files from older installations.
> > they are all named /usr/share/tmac/tmac.* while newer files seems to
> > be named share/tmac/.old/*.tmac, same assertion about locale
> > directories and /usr/bin/{grohtml,psbb},
> > /usr/share/groff_font/devps/dingbats.{,r}map and
> > /usr/share/groff_font/devhtml.

> `rm -rf /usr/share/tmac /usr/share/groff_font' before `make installworld'
> will do the trick.

in fact, much better is to "make cleandir obj all install" in tmac and
font groff subdirs, . problem solved. thanks.

I'm agaist your solution about manuallly cleaning old things in the
base system. IMHO, this have to be done at installation time w/in
before install or even a new pseudo target such as cleanbeforeinstall
or whatever.

> > it would be interresting to clean those older files on upgrade or
> > installworld. there are other garbage files not related to groff such
> > as /usr/lib/lib{crypto,ssl,gcc{_pic,_r,_pic_r}}.so.1,
> > /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach/..., etc.

how about thoses older files too. of course I could clean them manually,
but it would be better to clean them automatically.

Cyrille.
--
home: mailto:clefevre@poboxes.com   UNIX is user-friendly; it's just particular
work: mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre@edf.fr   about who it chooses to be friends with.