Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:47:21 -0700
From:      Evan Martin <evan@chromium.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        chromium@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to display C sources in Chromium (file:/// only)

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it> wrote:
> (hoping this is of interest for hackers- too)
>
> One of the most annoying features of chromium is that it downloads
> instead of displaying various types of files (.c, .h and so on).

This has long annoyed me too!

> it seems that a partial fix can be achieved by arring the list of
> types we want to display to the array
>
> =A0 =A0static const char* const supported_non_image_types[] =3D {
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...
> + =A0 =A0 =A0 "text/x-csrc",
> + =A0 =A0 =A0 "text/x-chdr",
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...
> =A0 =A0}

There's a comment at the end of the block:
  // Note: ADDING a new type here will probably render it AS HTML. This can
  // result in cross site scripting.
I wonder how to tell?

If you follow the references back from the definition of this variable
it appears to end up used here:
http://code.google.com/searchframe#OAMlx_jo-ck/src/third_party/WebKit/Sourc=
e/WebCore/loader/FrameLoader.cpp&exact_package=3Dchromium&ct=3Drc&cd=3D10&q=
=3DIsSupportedNonImageMimeType&l=3D859
which just indicates it's used when WebKit is deciding whether to
inline the content or not.

It seems to me like you could adjust the code in
MimeUtil::IsSupportedNonImageMimeType to always return true for any
text/* mime type.