Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:13:08 -0500
From:      Bob <bob@tamara-b.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ports Vs Base

Hi All:

I have a question about sendmail.

Initially, when I installed FreeBSD, I installed sendmail from the base
system. I then proceeded to stay up to date on base by updating my
source tree, and going through the "make world" process. I also stayed
up to date within ports, by updating my ports tree, and doing a
portupgrade -a (keeping all the updated ports sources/apps current)

In the interim, I have had the need to de-install the base version of
sendmail, and install the ports version. I had to do this to allow my
server to communicate with my ISP's SMTP server via SSL. (this may or
may not be true, but installing the ports sendmail fixed my
connectivity problems).

OK, I am now ready to "buile world" again, and possibly upgrade my
entire system to 6.2.

My question is this: If I now upgrade from 6.1-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD
6.1-RELEASE-p10 to the latest/greatest (possibly even 6.2-RELEASE) .....
will my sendmail revert to the base system or remain at the latest
installed ports version?

The confusing part of this is obviously the fact that sendmail exists
in both ports and in base.... (this probably shouldn't be?)

Can I safely do a make world, and expect my sendmail to remain at the
same ports version? My partner, who uses my W/S as her smart-host on
our internal ship-board network, will hang me by my petards from the
yard arm if her mail is disrupted for any extended period of time. I
may even be downgraded from Captain to deck-hand, and be given 20 lashes
at the mast! (could be fun, but could be embarrassing as well).

Best Regards
Bob
Aboard the M/V Tamara-B