Date:      Sat, 6 May 2000 11:08:45 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: category for xdrawchem

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 04:06:50AM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami
wrote:

>  * From: Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
>
>  * On Sat, 6 May 2000, Trevor Johnson wrote:
>  *
>  * > I'm wondering what the most suitable category would be.  I tried
>  * > asking Satoshi Asami, as Will Andrews advised, but received no
>  * > response.  Does anyone else have a comment?
>
> Oops, sorry.
>
>  * Yeah, Satoshi needs to finally create that "scientific" category so
>  * we can e.g. move all the chemistry ports out of biology :-)
>  *
>  * This has been discussed and agreed as a good idea at least twice in
>  * the past, but nothing ever came of it.
>
> Did we? ;)

Yes, but there was no consensus and the discussion just died.

> That wasn't what I thought.  People were divided among chemistry and
> biology (which has a lot of overlap) and I thought scientific is too
> broad (astro and math are definitely science, and there's something
> called "computer science" too!).

I vote for a chemistry category.

There is overlap in the scientific disciplines and biochemistry is
a scientific discipline in its own right.  However, I think most
software can be categorized neatly in the traditional discipline names,
like biology, chemistry, physics, etc. Even if it is decided to use
'scientific' as a category that is certainly a better description for
pure chemistry programs then 'biology' is.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@bayouhome.net