Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:50:14 GMT
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/96055: iconv man page refers to missing locale(7) man page

The following reply was made to PR docs/96055; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To: Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:44:21 +0200

 Fernan Aguero wrote:
 >> Number:         96055
 >> Category:       docs
 >> Synopsis:       iconv man page refers to missing locale(7) man page
 >> Confidential:   no
 >> Severity:       non-critical
 >> Environment:
 >
 > System: FreeBSD omega.iib.unsam.edu.ar 6.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p4 #0: Wed Jan 25 12:43:39 ART 2006 fernan@omega.iib.unsam.edu.ar:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OMEGA i386

 > 	When reading the iconv(1) man page, one is referred to the
 > 	locale(7) man page, which doesn't exist (at least on my system).
 >
 > 	From iconv(1):
 >
 > 	SEE ALSO
 >        		iconv_open(3), locale(7)
 >
 > 	GNU                January 13, 2002       ICONV(1)
 >        [fernan@omega] man 7 locale
 >        No entry for locale in section 7 of the manual
 >
 >> How-To-Repeat:
 >

 >        [fernan@omega] man 7 locale
 >
 >> Fix:
 >

 >> Release-Note:
 >> Audit-Trail:
 >> Unformatted:

 Hi,

 Please keep in mind that iconv is contributed code from another
 supplier of the data.  If he wrote the manual page with a local
 locale(7).  I think we are not to 'blame' for this. However, it
 might be interesting to poke the iconv maintainer(s).

 We have a locale(1)...  Perhaps this is more a ports issue in the
 end..

 cheers,
 Remko

 --