Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:41:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   segfault when starting firefox

Hi peeps!

After all this time I had actually hoped this problem wouldn't be one
anymore. :-) Now I really hate computers! :-)

I know that FreeBSD und sparc64 is still considered a little exotic, but
there are people out there who use this combination anyway. Exotic as it
may be, there are some programs which should be common enough that they
are expected to run. One of these is Firefox. I know that a Sun isn't the
ideal surf machine, since it is pretty slow and flash doesn't work, but
I'd like to use it just the same.

What I did:

I installed Firefox with this command:

portupgrade -N firefox

and yes, I did a pkgdb -F before that. I added the optimized CFLAGS in the
configurations menu.

Compiling when slowly but smoothly. After that I just wanted to start
Firefox so I typed "firefox &". After that, all I get is this:

  Segmentation fault (core dumped)
  [1]   Done (139)              firefox

I am using a Sun Ultra60 with 2GB of RAM and FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p8, with
a custom kernel. I went through the config of the kernel just now and
couldn't really find anything that smelled like something Firefox would
have to do with, but it's possible that I am looking a level too high. I
mainly threw out devices I wasn't using (the config is still pretty full
of PC stuff) and added two or three things I needed (like gmirror support
and crypto).

I added these two lines in my make.conf:
CFLAGS+= -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -mtune=ultrasparc
CFLAGS+= -mcpu=ultrasparc

I know this could all be put into one line but in some cases I have to
remove the -mcpu because that breaks the build (for some reason some build
don't recognize the plattform anymore when this is set).

I had this problem before somewhere between 6.0 and 6.1 (I was running
RELENG_6 at the time). Firefox wouldn't start and I got this segfault. Can
someone point me into the right direction what I could try?

Regards
Chris